1. Where is Blowing Rock? Located in North Carolina’s “High Country” Blowing Rock is located along the Blue Ridge Parkway near Boone, Grandfather Mountain, Linville Caverns, Valle Crucis, and Banner Elk. At 4,000 feet it is truly in high country. Known for its beauty and outdoor activities, the town has a vibrant arts community and lots of shopping.
For reference, Google Maps distance in miles and hours to Blowing Rock:
- Asheville 90.2 miles / 1:38
- Atlanta 286 miles / 4:48 via 441
- Charlotte 94 miles / 1:46
- Chattanooga 273 miles / 4:26
- Greenville 136 miles / 2:30
- Hickory 36.9 miles / 0:48
- Knoxville 163 miles / 2:52
- Greensboro 120 m / 2:02
The area is home to many outdoor activities and points of interest, including Linville Caverns, Grandfather Mountain, the Blowing Rock, Moses Cone Memorial Park, the Tweetsie Railroad, as well as skiing in the winter.
The town is known for its monthly Art in the Park outdoor festival. This will be occurring on Saturday, September 11, while we are at Appalachian Adventure.
2. Why did we choose the Meadowbrook Inn? The Meadowbrook Inn is a well-established inn a block or so from downtown Blowing Rock. The inn has a good track record of hosting car events. Its size of 60 rooms makes it possible for us to book the entire hotel, insuring a Porsche-intense weekend. The hotel is located close to downtown and is in easy walking distance to our concours site. They offer extensive banquet facilities, good social gathering space, and free breakfast with rooms.
3. Do I need to make separate reservations for the event and for accommodations at the resort? Yes, Event registration is done via the web at ClubRegistration.net and opens 7/15/21 with an 8/15/21 closing date. Fees are $100/single and $195/double. This covers two dinners and a Thursday evening reception as well as all event activities.
To make a reservation at Meadowbrook at the Group Rate, please follow these instructions:
- Go to the Meadowbrook Reservations Page at www.reservations.meadowbrook-inn.com
- Select your Arrival and Departure Dates and Number of Adults
- Enter the following Access Code for you Group to view your discounted rate: 10909A
If you want to visit the Meadowbrook website (www.meadowbrook-inn.com) directly, you can also click on Reservations and follow the instructions above.
Thursday Friday and Saturday Standard Room $89 $149 Deluxe Room, Suite $109 $189
4. What is the event cancellation policy?
- Cancellations prior to August 1 will receive a refund less 5%
- Cancellations from August 1 to August 15, less 25%.
- No cancellation refunds after August 15.
- These penalties are necessary to cover commitments made by the Appalachian Region–PCA.
Room cancellation will be directly with the hotel.
5. Will there be special parking designated for my Porsche? We have reserved the entire hotel, so all parking other than employees will be for use by participants.
6. What about trailer parking? Parking is adequate for all available registered cars. If you are planning to bring a trailer, contact Bill Price to discuss placement.
7. Where are the car wash stations? Car wash stations with buckets and hoses (please remember to bring your soap and towels) are located on the lower level of the hotel. The car wash will be open on Friday and Saturday.
8. What about the tours and driving? For this year we are planning alternative rides in multiple directions. We hope this will give participants a chance to explore the High Country in a new direction. Each ride is planned for about 6 hours total and will feature a lunch stop at a local restaurant. You will sign up for ride groups at event check-in at Meadowbrook.
Subject to change and/or road construction, the 3 alternative rides we are planning at this time include:
- Tour 1: Lunch at Switzerland Inn in Little Switzerland. Travel from Blowing Rock south on the Blue Ridge Parkway, over the famous Linn Cove Viaduct, to the Little Switzerland for lunch. Enjoy one of the best views of the Blue Ridge while dining on the patio (weather permitting). After lunch, the group will drive the challenging Diamondback on NC 226A, 11 miles of great twisting turns. From The Diamondback the drive route will go north on US 221 and enjoy the challenging curves as the road approaches Blowing Rock. Here is the website for Switzerland Inn: https://www.switzerlandinn.com/dining/
- Tour 2: Lunch at J. Hartman’s in Marion. This group will enjoy the challenging curves of US 221 traveling south from Blowing Rock toward Marion. After lunch at Marion’s newest restaurant, J. Hartman’s, the tour will travel west on US 70 to NC 80 where you will turn north and drive The Devil’s Whip, 12 miles of tight twisting turns and switchbacks. The drive will then turn north on the Blue Ridge Parkway, crossing the Linn Cove Viaduct and back to Blowing Rock. Check out the restaurant here: https://jhartmansmarion.com/
- Tour 3: Lunch at the Bluffs Restaurant in Laurel Springs, NC. This tour will travel north on the Blue Ridge Parkway to The Bluffs Restaurant at Doughton Park right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. After 61 years of operation, The Bluffs has recently reopened and offers traditional southern cooking. After lunch, the group will return to Blowing Rock via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Visit their web site here: https://www.bluffsrestaurant.org/
As a Sunday option or an alternative to one of our planned rides, you may want to visit Grandfather Mountain, a major local attraction. You can check it out on the internet or we will provide information in the reception packet.
9. What is the car collection tour on Saturday? Blowing rock is home to a European auto collection (about 25 cars, including Porsches) owned by Chip Perry, a former CEO of AutoTrader and TruCar. Chip has been gracious enough to allow AA participants to tour his “car barn” and view his collection on Saturday about 2:30.
If you want an alternative to the car collection tour, we have arranged a wine tasting at Sunset & Vine at 3:00 on Saturday. This shop is located about a block from Meadowbrook.
10. What are the rules and classes for the Concours? The Concours will be held on Saturday at the Blowing Rock 1st Baptist Church, about a block from the Meadowbrook. Staging for the show will begin at 10:30 and the show will extend from 11:00- 1:30. We will have an optional catered barbeque lunch on-site.
We anticipate seven or more classes depending on the Porsche vehicles registered for the event. A listing of Peoples Choice Concours rules and projected classes (subject to change) is available on the Appalachian Region website at apr.pca.org. We will present 1-3 awards per class depending on class size. There will also be a Best-In-Show award.
We will have an optional barbeque lunch available on-site at the concours. Reserve and pay on-line at time of ClubReg registration.
11. How about the Historical and Technical Porsche Quiz? This year’s Quiz will be included with your welcome Package. Quizzes must be completed and placed into the Quiz Box found at the Event Registration Table or another designated location by 2:00 p.m. on Saturday. An award will be presented to the Quiz winner at the Awards Dinner.
12. What about cell phone use and Wi-Fi coverage at the Inn? Cell coverage is good, and Wi-fi service is provided at the hotel.
13. When is breakfast available? A buffet breakfast is provided for hotel guests each morning from 7:30 to 10:00. On Saturday, breakfast will be from 7:00 to 9:30 to accommodate timing for concours prep.
14. Who can I contact if I have further questions? For questions regarding the resort and accommodations, please contact Meadowbrook at (800) 456-5456.
Other/general questions can be directed to Bill Price, the event coordinator.