The Appalachian Region, Porsche Club of America is hosting Appalachian Adventure at The Ridges Resort on Lake Chatuge in Young Harris, GA on August 17-19, 2018.
Located in the mountains of Georgia this promises to be a laid back weekend right on a lake in the middle of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. The Appalachian Adventure offers a great blend of socializing, driving and sightseeing with over 50 Porsche's expected for the event. Porsche of Asheville is the primary sponsor of the event. The Ridges Resort website is www.ridgesresort.com. There are limited hotel rooms available and no alternate locations in the immediate vicinity; see hotel registration details below. Event registration opens on April 14, 2018 at clubregistration.net.
- Where is Lake Chatuge? Nestled in the mountains of Western North Carolina and Northwestern Georgia is beautiful Lake Chatuge. In 1942, the TVA constructed a 2,950-foot earth-and-rock dam across the Hiawassee River, forming Lake Chatuge. Visitors can enjoy leisurely strolls along the dam with its spectacular view of the lake and surrounding mountains. With more than 130 miles of shoreline, the lake has numerous finger-like projections of land forming interesting coves for great fishing, swimming, boating and water sports. There will be an optional lake cruise leaving from the Ridges on Saturday afternoon for $15 per person, prepaid at Event Registration.
- Why did we choose The Ridges Resort? The Ridges at Lake Chatuge has established a very positive reputation in hosting a variety of car club events and provides services and amenities that cater to their needs. All guest rooms as well as the common use areas of the Resort have been renovated in early 2018.
The mountain elevation and cool lake breezes should provide a comfortable climate for this year’s Appalachian Adventure. Although just south of the famously great winding roads of WNC, NW Georgia has bragging rights of its own when it comes to twisty roads. For reference, Google Maps distance in miles and hours to the Ridges at Lake Chatuge Resort:
◦ Asheville 111 miles / 1:58
◦ Atlanta 103 miles / 2:05
◦ Charlotte 226 miles / 3:46
◦ Chattanooga 109 miles / 2:03
◦ Greenville 117 miles / 2:20
◦ Hickory 186 miles / 3:02
◦ Knoxville 131 miles / 2:32
- Do I need to make separate reservations for the event and for accommodations at the resort? Yes, Event registration is done via the web atwww.clubregistration.net and opens 4/15/18 with a 7/14/18 closing date. Fees are $100/single and $195/double.
Hotel registration: To make room reservations at The Ridges Resort call the resort directly at 706-896-2262. Mention that you are with the Appalachian Region-PCA to get the group rate until 5/16/18. There is a two-night minimum to get the reduced rates. Extra nights may also be added before or after the Event at the reduced rates. Lodge rooms are $148.28 Resort View and $170.68 Lake View per night including fees and taxes. There are 2 to 4 bedroom Villas available at higher rates. Please have a valid Credit Card available when calling for reservations. Check-in time is 4:00 p.m. Checkout time is 11:00 a.m. Rooms reserved after 5/17/18 are subject to availability and standard room rates.
- What is the event cancellation policy? Event registration cancellations made prior to May 31, 2018 will receive a refund from Clubregistration.net less 5%. Cancellations from June 1-30, less 25%. No cancellation refunds after July 15, 2018. Sorry, but these penalties are necessary to cover commitments made by the Appalachian Region–PCA.
Room reservations may be cancelled on 72 hours notice. The cancellation penalty is the Resort policy.
- Will there be special parking designated for my Porsche? We will have designated Porsche parking on the left side of the lot facing the Lobby entrance on Friday and Saturday nights.
- What about trailer parking? The resort has extensive grounds so trailer parking should not be a problem for our group.
- Where are the car wash stations? Car wash stations with hoses (please remember to bring your own bucket, soap and towels) are located in the parking lot between the pool building and the Oaks Restaurant. The car wash will be open Friday from 8am to 6pm and Saturday from6am to 6pm.
- What about the tours and driving? We have arranged self-guided tours on some of the most scenic and challenging roads in the area. The 2 to 3.5 hour Gimmick Rally on Friday afternoon will reflect a leisurely pace with emphasis on your powers of perception, the scenery and having fun. Several restaurants along your route will allow an early start after registration. All registrants will be provided with a high-quality touring map of the area. Additional tour directions with mileage and estimated travel times will also be provided for each of the self-guided tours. Self-guided tours offer a number of interesting and scenic options for your use on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
- What about the optional lake cruise? We have arranged an optional 1-hour narrated tour of the 7,500-acre lake at a cost of $15/person, payable at the time of Registration. The lake tour promises to be relaxing, scenic, informative and enjoyable.
- What are the rules and classes for the Concours? We anticipate 9 or more classes depending on the Porsche vehicles registered for the event. A listing of Peoples Choice Concours rules and projected classes (subject to change) is available on the Appalachian Region website at apr.pca.org. We are budgeting for 1-3 awards/class depending on class size. There will also be a Best In Show award.
- How about the Historical and Technical Porsche Quiz? This year’s Quiz will be included with your welcome Package. Quizzes must be completed and placed into the Quiz Box found at the Event Registration Table or the Dining Pavilion by Noon on Saturday. An award will be presented to the Quiz winner at the Awards Dinner.
- What about cell phone use and Wi-Fi coverage at the resort? With Verizon and AT&T Towers nearby, we are told that cell phone coverage has not been an issue for guests. All Lodge rooms and Villas have Wi-Fi service available included in the quoted rates.
- When is breakfast available? The Oaks Restaurant (706-896-4141) is located between the Resort entrance and the Main Lodge. The Oaks opens at 7:00 a.m. for breakfast. Breakfast is on your own.
- Who can I contact if I have further questions? For questions regarding the resort and accommodations, please contact The Ridges at Lake Chatuge Resort at 706-896-2262. Other/general questions can be directed to Don Therien, the event coordinator, at email@example.com.