As a last official act as President, here's a summary of January 2020's events with other news.
- Tech Session, Saturday, 4 January at 10:00 - 11:30 am - Tour of K&M Collision in Hickory. K&M is the only factory-certified shop near to us that has what it takes to repair 'bent' and damaged Porsches. If you're interested, a drive/carpool group will depart from from Ingles/Black Mountain: be there at 8:30 am. An optional lunch will be held at the Olde Hickory Station following the tour. For more info and reservagtions: K&M Collision Repair Shop Tour
- January Social Mixer, Wednesday, 8 January 5:00-7:00 pm - Highlands Brewing. As usual, look for the white Ar name badges.
- 'Breakfast at Tommy's' Ramble, Saturday, 18 January 9:00 am. Ramble on over to Tommy's Family Restaurant in Weaverville for a 'down home cooked' breakfast. Reservations are required: to reserve your place, click here.
- Appalachian Adventure 2020 Committee Meeting, Saturday, 18 January 10:00 am in the Porsche Asheville conference room. If you are interested in serving on the AA committee, please attend.
- AR Board Meeting, Thursday, 30 January 4:00 pm in the Porsche Asheville conference room.
...and of course on January 1st, the newly elected Board of Directors will be in place with Don Therien leading as Region President. There have been new Chairs appointed/approved as well:
- Tours/Driving Events Chair: John Goetzman (replacing Larry Koupal)
- Membership Chair: David Angelus (replacing Don Oakes)
- Dealer Liaison: Peter Graham (replacing Jim Peterson)
- Warden: Bob Poe (replacing Don Oakes; the warden controls Region inventory)
- Appalachian Adventure: Bob Herrmann (replacing Don Therien)
- Chief Driving Instructor: Dan Dazzo (replacing Jack Chandler)
To the outgoing Chairs: well done and thank you for your service of our Region!
The Appalachian Region has submitted for three National Awards for 2019: Public Service Award (for charitable and community work), the Ferry Porsche Trophy (Region of the Year) and Glenn Lazar-Harry Blanchard Memorial Trophy (Enthusiast of the Year).
For the Glenn Lazar-Harry Blanchard Memorial Trophy, the Region nominated Jim Moore, our Events Chair and Vice President-Elect. Jim has been an integral part of the Appalachian Region’s monthly events for the past two years: his tireless efforts have made 2019 the best year yet. The award submission is a nod of recognition for all of Jim's efforts: please thank Jim next time you see him!
Porsche Asheville has agreed to another year of sponsorship with unwavering support of the Appalachian Region. Please thank the staff next time you are in the dealership and a big thank you to Jim Peterson for all his efforts as Dealer Liaison!
While it may be a little late for Christmas, you can still order that 'perfect gift' (and/or an AR name badge) from the Goodie Store.
Finally Claudia and I would like to wish you a very merry Christmas, a happy and healthy new year and a safe holiday season!
I hope to see you at an event soon...