The Appalachian Region - Porsche Club of America announces Appalachian Adventure-2016 at the Fontana Village Resort, Fontana Dam, North Carolina, August 12-14, 2016.
This new event promises to be a true fun-filled, laid-back weekend in the cool breezy mountains of western North Carolina - right in the middle of some of the best driving roads in the country. The Appalachian Adventure offers a great blend of driving, sightseeing, tire kicking, and socializing, with over 65 Porsches expected for the event. Porsche Asheville is the primary sponsor for the event.
Highlights of this special weekend include:
- People’s Choice Concours on the resort grounds. Awards are planned for 9± classes (depending on the vehicles registered) plus Best of Show. Voting will be by registered participants.
- Tours, tours, and more tours! Roads in the area are simply the best around. We will offer a guided tour (scenic, at a relaxed pace) on Friday afternoon and a drive early Sunday morning (where we will tackle some challenging asphalt with a focus on the road/drive.) A number of self-guided tours will be available to nearby destinations that you’ll find interesting and scenic.
- Socializing with fellow Porsche owners at a Friday night kickoff mixer and optional BBQ. Saturday events include lunch and Concours, complimentary wine tasting, and evening awards dinner. An optional guided Fontana Lake cruise will be available on Saturday afternoon.
- Charity raffle of a variety of valuable automotive items and accessories. Participation is limited to registered participants with all raffle proceeds to benefit MANNA FoodBank.
- Porsche historic and technical quiz is on the agenda with an award to the top finisher.
- Goodie Store featuring Appalachian Region - PCA and manufacturer merchandise/garments will be open. Other suppliers on site will feature displays including new Porsche vehicles from Porsche Asheville.
Please plan to join the group.
On-site accommodations are available including lodge rooms ($99/night) and 2-3 bedroom cabins ($189-229/night). For reservations contact the Fontana Village Resort directly at 800-849-2258 or 828-498-2211. Mention that you are with the Appalachian Region - Porsche Club of America to get the group rate until 5/12/16. Pet-friendly cabins are also available. The Resort's Website mentions a Resort Pass charge of $13.95 per room per night, but this is included in our negotiated group rates.
Event registration is via the web at http://clubregistration.net/events/signUp.cfm/event/7228 and opens 3/1/16 with a 7/10/16 closing. Fees are $115 /single and $215/double. Please note that this does not include your accommodations.
For information contact Don Therien, event coordinator at email@example.com.
|Friday, August 12|
|11:30 a.m.- 1 p.m.||Event check-in (resort lobby)|
|Noon +||Self-guided tours available (See maps and directions in packet at event check-in.)|
|Noon ±||Lunch on your own|
|1 p.m. +||Three-hour guided tour groups start (depart from parking area near General Store; see sign)|
|5:30 - 6:30 p.m.||Event check-in (rec hall/events center)|
|5:30.- 7 p.m.||Welcome mixer/social (rec hall/events center bar and deck. Cash bar)|
|7 - 9 p.m.||Optional Pig Pickin’ Bar-B-Que dinner in the rec hall/events center
(Make your reservations for this when you register for the event.)
|9 p.m. - ?||Social (rec hall/events center, bonfire pits. Cash bar)|
|Saturday, August 13|
|7:30 a.m. +||Self-guided tours, breakfast* on your own|
|9 - 10 a.m.||Event check-in (rec hall/events center)|
|9 a.m. - Noon||Table top sponsor/vendor setup (rec hall/events center deck)|
|10:30 - 11:30 a.m.||Concours - car staging (events center parking lot) and car placement (softball field)|
|Noon- 2:00 p.m.||Peoples Choice Concours (softball field)|
|12:30- 1:30 p.m.||Lunch (rec hall/events center and deck)|
|2 p.m.||Concours concludes (cars exit softball field)|
|2 p.m. +||Self-guided tours|
|1:30 - 4:30 p.m.||Optional guided Fontana Lake boat cruise (The shuttle departs from the resort lobby and returns after the cruise)|
|2:30 - 3:30 p.m.||Guest speaker presentations (rec hall/events center)|
|3:30- 4 p.m||Porsche historic and technical quiz (rec hall/events center)|
|5:30 - 6:30 p.m.||Complimentary wine tasting (bonfire pits), (cash bar at rec hall/events center)|
|6:30 - 8:30 p.m.||Awards dinner (rec hall/events center), cash bar|
|8:30 p.m. - ?||Social (rec hall/event center bar, bonfire pits. Cash bar)|
|Sunday, August 14|
|7:00 a.m.||2.5-hour guided drive -Tail of the Dragon and Foothills Pky.
(groups depart from parking area near General Store – see sign)
|7:30 a.m. +||Self-guided tours, breakfast* on your own, hotel check-out|
* Resort restaurant located down the hall from the main lobby opens at 7:30 a.m. for breakfast. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate are available in the resort lobby 24/7.
Car wash stations with hoses are located at the Putt-Putt (miniature) golf building and at the General Store across from the softball field. They are open Friday afternoon and evening and Saturday morning. Please remember to bring your own bucket, soap and towels.
Concours Rules and Procedures
- Award recipients must be PCA members; however, non members are encouraged to participate.
- Concours Classes will be determined based upon registrants received through 4/30/16.
- The number of registrants in each class will determine the number of Concours awards.
a. There will be only a 1st place award for classes with fewer than five registrants.
b. There will be 1st and 2nd place awards for classes with five to ten registrants.
c. There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards for classes with more than ten registrants.
- Voting to be performed by Appalachian Adventure event registrants and sponsors with a vote cast for each class and Best of Show. Voting closes promptly at 2:00 p.m. Ballots will be included in your registration packet and a ballot box will be provide for ballot collection.
- Awards Tiebreaker: 1. Total Best of Show votes, 2. Registration date/time.
- Car Wash stations with hoses are located at the Putt-Putt (miniature) golf building and at the General Store across from the softball field; bring your own soap, bucket and towels. They are open Friday afternoon and evening and Saturday morning. Please remember staging starts at 10:a.m. at the event center parking lot.
a. Please wait in the Event Center parking lot until your vehicle class is called by concours personnel for staging. Place your Vehicle id placard on the front windshield under the wipers.
b. All cars will be led to the show field via golf cart according to class.
c. Cars not available when their class is called during staging will be placed after all other classes are positioned on the show field.
d. No signs or descriptive plaques allowed once cars in place on the field.
e. Only cars of volunteers who have work assignments will be permitted early entry to show field.
- Cars off the show field: 2:00 p.m.
a. Do not move your car until directed by the Concours personnel.
b. All cars will remain on the field until the Concours completes at 2:00 p.m.
- Awards will be presented at the Saturday night Awards Dinner.
Proposed Classes (To be finalized after registration closes.)
- POR-1 - 356, 912, 914, and 911 (1965-1977)
- POR-2 - 911 (1978 - 1998)
- POR-3 - 911 (1999 - 2004)
- POR-4 - 911 (2005 - Present)
- POR-5 - Boxster
- POR-6 - Cayman
- POR-7 - 924, 944, 968, 928
- POR-8 - Cayenne, Macan, Panamera
- POR-9 - Specialty and Limited Production (includes 356 Speedster, Convertible D and Carrera, 911 RS, 911 Turbo, 911 Speedster, 911 GTS, GT2, GT3, GT3RS, Carrera GT, 911 RS America and Roadster, Boxster Spyder, Cayman GT4 & R etc.
Appalachian Adventure Frequently Asked Questions
- Why this location/where is Fontana Village Resort? Fontana Village resort has established a very positive reputation in hosting a variety of car club events and provides services and amenities that cater to their needs. The resort is located in Graham County in far western North Carolina, immediately adjacent to Fontana Lake and Great Smoky Mountain National Park and to the states of Tennessee, South Carolina and Georgia. Graham County claims to be North Carolina’s last frontier. Inhabited by Cherokee Indians well into the 1800’s, it was one of the remotest areas in the state when it became a county in 1872. The area features an attractive combination of rare assets, including scenic and challenging roadways, pristine forests, protected mountain lakes and creeks, waterfalls, and unique history and culture. For reference, distance in miles to Fontana Village Resort
Asheville 88 Atlanta 175 Birmingham 275 Charlotte 200 Chattanooga 135 Greenville 147 Johnson City 154 Knoxville 65
- Do I need to make separate reservations for the event and for accommodations at the resort? Yes, event registration is done via the web at http://clubregistration.net/events/signUp.cfm/event/7228 and opens 3/1/16 with a 7/10/16 closing. Fees are $115/single and $215/double. To make room reservations at the Fontana Village Resort call the resort directly at 800-849-2258 or 828-498-2211. Mention that you are with the Appalachian Region - Porsche Club of America to get the group rate until 5/12/16. Lodge rooms are $99/night and 2-3 bedroom cabins are $189-229/night. A deposit equivalent to one night’s lodging is required at the time of room reservation. Pet-friendly cabins are also available with a deposit. Check-in time is 4:00 p.m. and check-out time is 11:00 a.m. Rooms may be reserved after 5/16/16 subject to availability and standard rates.
- What is the event cancellation policy? Event registration cancellations made prior to May 31, 2016 will receive a refund from Clubregistration.net less 5%. Cancellations from June 1-30, less 10%. No cancellation refunds after July 1, 2016. For room reservations canceled between 90 days and 12 months before arrival, there is a $50 cancellation fee assessed. A penalty of one night’s lodging is assessed for room reservations canceled less than 90 days before the event. Appalachian Region - PCA negotiated a group rate discount on rooms. Payment is by individual billing. The cancellation penalty is a resort policy.
- Will there be special secured parking for my Porsche? We have arranged for overnight security on Friday and Saturday.
- What about trailer parking? The resort has extensive grounds so trailer parking should not be a problem for our group.
- Where are the car wash stations? Car wash stations with hoses (please remember to bring your own soap, bucket, and towels) are located at the Putt-Putt (miniature) golf building and at the General Store across from the softball field. The car wash is open Friday afternoon and evening and Saturday morning.
- What about the tours and driving? We have arranged guided and self-guided tours throughout the area on some of the most scenic and challenging roads in the eastern U.S. The 3.5 hour guided tour (Friday afternoon) will reflect a leisure pace with emphasis on the scenery. A 2.5 hour guided drive (early Sunday morning) will include the Tail of the Dragon and Foothills Parkway requiring a focus on the drive. All registrants will be provided with a high-quality touring map of Western North Carolina. Additional tour directions with mileage and estimated travel times will also be provided for each of the self-guided tours. Self-guided tours offer a number of interesting and scenic options of various durations and will be available Friday, Saturday and Sunday at your leisure.
- What about the optional guided lake cruise? 10,230-acre Fontana Lake was created when the TVA Fontana Dam was constructed to accommodate the skyrocketing electricity demands in the Tennessee Valley at the height of World War II. The resort has arranged an optional 2-;hour guided/narrated boat tour of the lake at a cost of $20/person, payable at the time of the tour. We have asked for an indication of interest on the registration form so the resort can arrange the proper number of tour boats. The lake tour promises to be relaxing, scenic, informative and enjoyable. Fontana dam is the tallest dam in the Eastern US. The Appalachian Trail crosses the top of the dam. The TVA Fontana Dam visitor center is just down the road from the resort and is also worth a visit during your stay. There is no charge for a visit at the dam.
- What are the rules and classes for the Concours? We anticipate nine or more classes depending on the Porsche vehicles registered for the event. A listing of Peoples Choice Concours rules and projected classes (subject to change) is available on the Appalachian Region website. We are budgeting for one to three awards per class depending on class size. There will also be a Best In Show award.
- What about cell phone use and Wi-Fi coverage at the resort? Because the resort is located on Gov’t. land/property, no cell phone towers are permitted, so cell phone coverage is very limited. We are told that only Verizon cell phone contracts receive service and then it is limited to areas including, resort lodge lobby, Village Grill, General Store and Pit Stop gas station/fuel (see map for locations). All rooms and cabins have Wi-Fi service.
- When is breakfast available? The Mountview Bistro restaurant located in the main lodge opens at 7:30 a.m. for breakfast. Breakfast is on your own. Free coffee, tea and hot chocolate are avialable in the lobby 24 hours/day.
- Who can I contact if I have further questions? For questions regarding the resort and accommodations, please contact the Fontana Village Resort at 800-849-2258 or 828-498-2211. Other/general questions can be directed to Don Therien, event coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.