Greetings Appalachian Region - PCA members,
This is an update with news and information related to your Club. I have listed the events in reverse chronological order so you don’t miss the Appalachian Region - PCA Christmas Holiday Party information!
1. Appalachian Region-PCA Christmas Holiday Party and Benefit
Please plan to join us for this event. It should be a lot of fun and a great way to wrap up the first calendar year for the Appalachian Region - PCA membership. Tying in a charity benefit allows us to further share the holiday spirit.
Here are the details:
- The event is Tuesday 12/8/15, 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Harmony Motors, 621 Brevard Road, Asheville.
- It's co-sponsored by the Appalachian Region - PCA and Harmony Motors/Porsche of Asheville.
- This is a casual social seasonal mixer with heavy hors d’oeuvres, beer/wine, soft drinks, and will feature door prizes, special guests, the introduction of our newly elected Appalachian Region ‒ PCA officers for 2016 and 2017, and more.
- This event will benefit MANNA FoodBank, Asheville (MANNA FoodBank is dedicated to ending hunger among the needy throughout the 16 western-most counties of North Carolina.)
- The suggested minimum donation of $10/person, collected at the door/registration, and receipts will be available. Alternately, attendees may donate 5 or more items/person from the MANNA most needed items list (canned meats, dried/canned vegetables, meals in a box or can, canned fruits and vegetables, fruit/vegetable juices, peanut butter in plastic jars, hearty soups, cereals and grains, instant non-fat dry milk.) All proceeds will go to MANNA FoodBank.
- The short program will include remarks from Harmony Motors and Appalachian Region representatives. Special guest Cindy Threlkeld, Executive Director of MANNA FoodBank has agreed to attend and share a few words.
Please help us plan by sending an RSVP to email@example.com to let us know who will be joining the group on 12/8.
We hope that you will attend and look forward to seeing you at what promises to be a most enjoyable event.
2. Annual Membership Meeting
As you may know, the Appalachian Region Bylaws call for an annual membership meeting during December (or as soon prior to or thereafter as convenient). We have scheduled this annual membership meeting as a business meeting for Saturday 12/5/15 at 10 a.m. in the conference room at Harmony Motors. All Appalachian Region - PCA members are welcome to attend. The agenda will follow that of the periodic Appalachian Region Board meetings: reports: officers (including the Treasurer’s report,) committees, special events (Appalachian Adventure which is the successor event to In Den Bergen and is scheduled for next August,) unfinished business, new business and announcements. We will include a brief review of milestones the Appalachian Region has reached since inception, announce the certified results of the recent Board election and open discussion with a general questions to members: what should the Appalachian Region offer to provide additional value to members? This is your opportunity to obtain an update on Region business matters and also to offer your ideas and suggestions for its improvement.
This meeting will also take the place of the 12/3 Appalachian Region-PCA Board meeting and the monthly Appalachian Region - PCA meeting of Saturday 12/5/15.
3. Social Media
The Appalachian Region now has an active Facebook group. Please join our online community and connect with other members. The group already has several photos and offers yet another way to communicate news and information about the Appalachian Region - PCA. Thanks to member Jason Howard for his efforts in launching the Region Facebook group. Here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/aprpca/.
4. Volunteer opportunities!!!
Yes, yet another reminder about volunteer opportunities!
Seriously though, in comparison to the previous model of an Area Director (Mountain) reporting to a very large and distant region Board (Carolinas), our new status as a PCA Region (Appalachian) is far superior. With a dedicated Board, backed by a number of active committees, the diffusion of responsibility and authority for Region matters allows for the active engagement of many more members. This increased participation makes the Region much stronger than it was as an Area and offers members more value for their investment in PCA.
We have a number of active committees in the Region. You will find them listed on the Region website. All of these committees have openings for additional volunteers. In particular I would like to call your attention to three areas where we really can use some extra help:
- Events - deals with the “meat” of the Appalachian Region-PCA offering and value to members. This committee plans the monthly events and activities of the Region.
- Special Events - in this case our Appalachian Adventure, the successor to In Den Bergen. There is an active committee planning for this event next August 12-14, 2016 at Fontana Village Resort. The event will feature a People’s Choice Concours, guided driving tours, on your own drives, a historic/technical quiz, a number of meals and social gatherings, and more, and promises to be a great weekend.
- Communications. This is the voice of the region-internally to members and externally to the PCA world and prospective members, sponsors, our communities, etc. Communications and marketing crosses a number of Region functions and personnel and includes photography, writing and editing, events coverage, interface with PCA National communication and information tools, communications with neighboring PCA Regions, etc.
There are lots of opportunities to get involved, make new friends and add value to your PCA membership and the events and activities of the Appalachian Region ‒ PCA. If you are interested just let me or any of the Board members know and we will steer you in the right direction.
Thank you for your ongoing participation and support.
I look forward to seeing you at a future event.
Jim Peterson, President
Appalachian Region - Porsche Club of America