The Straightaway Drive & Dine
Registration Opens April 15, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
The Straightaway Drive & Dine will start at the southernmost end of the Region with a start just over the border in Landrum, South Carolina just off I-26. The route will connect us to US-176 that features a climbing series of banked turns that are a delight in a Porsche. This is anything but a straight drive, but we will be eating at the Straightaway Cafe in Black Mountain.
The Straightaway Drive & Dine will start at the southernmost end of the Region with a start just over the border in Landrum, South Carolina just off I-26. The route will connect us to US-176 that features a climbing series of banked turns that are a delight in a Porsche. After passing through Saluda, we'll bear east to Lake Lure driving the exciting Holbert Cove Roads. Appalachian Region scouts first drove these roads over the winter and immediately wanted to add them to a 2021 drive.
Leaving from Lake Lure after our rest stop, we'll travel the famous Bill's Creek Road with a crossover to NC-9 to take us into Black Mountain for a noon-time meal at the "local" Straightaway Cafe off NC-9.
The Straightaway is set for our 60-70 diners that will be hungry coming off the drive. Seating could be tough though so we have made arrangements that you may want to bring your picnic chair to sit by your car or in a special area off the terrace of the restaurant. There will be regular indoor and outdoor chairs and tables, but we will be maxing out the capacity of the restaurant.
To make serving easier, The Straightaway Cafe will be offering a three-item menu or you can bring-your-own lunch and camp chair, but you will have to be sitting off-restaurant in a designated picnic area. Please specify when registering what your lunch order will be (no changes after ordering). Here are the choices:
- $13 Classic Hamburger and Fries: Foothills Butcher Burger Patty with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo. Served with French Fries
-$11 Chicken Tenders and Fries: In-house beer batttered Springer Mountain Farms Chicken Tenders served with house-made honey mustard and french fries.
- $15 Organic Salad with Shredded Chicken: Local garden greens, sourdough croutons, toasted sunflower seeds and Farmer's Cheese with a herb vinaigrette and shredded chicken.
- Bring your own lunch and camp chair and sit by your car or on the Volleyball court to eat. (Sorry, If you bring your own you will not be able to sit at the table and chairs of the restaurant.) There will be a limited number that can bring your own lunch as we need to support the restaurant. If too many sign up for bring your own, then I may have to adjust your selection prior to the event.
Specify your meal choice at Registration, but pay at the restaurant. Drinks are separate.
We are starting a new process to help make drives more enjoyable and safer for all involved. We recognize that their are varying degrees of driver abilities and desires of how to drive the tour. During registration, we would like you to identify how you would like to classify your driving abilities and desire to experience the Drive & Dine. The two classifications are 1) Tour and 2) Advanced. When registering, please note your desired tour classificaiton for this Drive & Dine. Here is how we define the two classifications:
- Tour: New to mountain driving or you want a very relaxed drive.
- Advanced: Experienced mountain driver and you want to enjoy the route at a pace that never exceeds the speed limit.
Outdoor Seating at the Straightaway
Drive Details - Tentative - Three drive groups of 10 cars each.
Drive Date: Saturday, May 8, 2021
Meet-up Time: 9:00 a.m.
Location: Ingles Market, Landrum, South Carolina
Straightaway Cafe Lunch: First drive group will arrive at 11:15 a.m. with each of three drive groups arriving 15 minutes apart so we "beat" the lunch crowd.
REGISTRATION OPENS April 15, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
|Event Date||05-08-2021 9:00 am|
|Registration Start Date||04-15-2021 12:00 pm|