The Appalachian Region of PCA is hosting its third annual Appalachian Adventure featuring the best driving roads in America at a world-class resort.
The centerpiece of the event is the people’s Choice Concours and Awards Banquet on Saturday following a day of Driving on Friday where you’ll enjoy the roads with your Porsche.
Appalachian Adventure is being held at The Ridges Resort on Lake Chatuge, 3499 Hwy 76, Hiawassee, Georgia August 15-18, 2019. The weekend promises to be a fun weekend of socializing, driving and showing your Porsche right by the lake in the middle of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.
Updates on the event will be posted on this Website. If you would like to be notified of them, you can register for the Appalachian Adventure mailing list here.
Welcome Thursday: Arrive Thursday afternoon to get situated and start with a complementary welcome cocktail hour on Thursday evening.
Driving Friday: The morning starts with a 43-mile Guided Tour to Bell Mountain and to Brasstown Bald, the highest points in the area. After lunch on your own in the area, you can test your skills with a fun Gimmick Rally. If you prefer to explore on your own there will be two unguided tour options that will pass wineries, a distillery, waterfalls and Indian petroglyphs, all while enjoying scenic North Georgia Mountain views.
Concours Saturday: The day kicks off with the People Choice Concours that displays 50+ cars competing in more than seven award Classes, plus Best of Show. Saturday night is the big awards banquet to announce the winners over a great dinner with a featured speaker.
Meals & Friends: The weekend offers opportunities to see old friends and meet new friends. Over 100 people will attend the weekend and join in socializing at the Thursday cocktail hour, optional Friday night Fajita dinner and the Saturday Concours lunch and Awards dinner.
Sightseeing and Shopping: Saturday afternoon gives you the freedom to shop, sightsee or enjoy the optional cruise on Lake Chatuge.
Test Your Knowledge: This Year’s multiple-choice format historical and technical quiz will test your Porsche knowledge, but you better study up. There are some real experts expected to compete. The Quiz winner will be awarded at the Saturday night banquet.
Porsche Product and Merchandise: The official event sponsor is Porsche Asheville who will bring a great selection of vehicles and experts to answer your questions. The new 992 launches this year, so we can only hope one is on-hand for us all to familiarize ourselves with it.
Send-off Sunday: Sunday is open for you to have a leisurely start to the day, tour or sightsee on your own or enjoy the beautiful drive home at your own pace. For those looking for driving excitement we’ll provide directions for a route that takes you to the Tail of the Dragon.
For additional information please contact Don Therien, event coordinator at email@example.com.
Registration for the event is only $175 for couples and $95 for singles. Registration opens April 15, 2019 on clubregistration.net and includes:
- Thursday night cocktail party
- Registration to all driving events
- Concours entry and lunch
- Awards Banquet
Optional events requiring an extra fee are the Friday Night Fajita dinner ($40pp) and the Lake Chatuge cruise ($15pp).
The hotel stay at the Ridges at Lake Chatuge is not included in the registration fee and must be reserved separately by contacting The Ridges Resort on Lake Chatuge directly at 706-896-2262. Mention that you are with the Appalachian Region - Porsche Club to get the group rate until 5/18/19.
Reduced rate accommodations are available with a 2-night minimum stay. The room options are:
- Resort View Double: $148.28/night
- Lake View Double: $170.68/night
- Villas with 2-4 Bedrooms are available at higher rates.
- These prices include a Resort Fee plus Room and State taxes.
- You may extend your stay at the special rates
Come join your Porsche friends at the lake for a weekend of driving, socializing and showing your Porsche.
For information contact Don Therien, event coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule of Events
|Thursday, August 15th|
|4:45 pm. – 5:45 pm.||Event Check-In & Registration (Lakeside Pavilion)|
|5:00 pm. – 6:00 pm.||Welcome Social Hour with Complementary Bar (Lakeside Pavilion) EVENT NAME TAGS REQUIRED|
|6:00 pm. +||Dinner on Your Own (Reservations recommended for Oaks Restaurant)|
|9:00 pm. +||Social and S’mores (Fire Pit behind the Lodge)|
|Friday, August 16th|
|6:00 am. – 6:00 pm.||Car Wash hoses available – back of pool house|
|6:30 am – 8:00 am||Breakfast on your own (Oaks Restaurant)|
|7:30 am. - 8:00 am.||Event Check-In (Resort Lodge, Lower Lobby)|
|8:00 am.||Mountain Climb Guided & Escorted Drive (Resort Lodge, Lower Lobby) Please arrive promptly; we leave at 8:10 am.
WRIST BANDS or SIGNED WAIVER REQUIRED at start of Drive
|8:00 am. – 5:00 pm.||Self-guided tours (See the maps and directions in your welcome packet.)|
|11:30 am. - Noon||Event Check-In (Resort Lodge, Lower Lobby)|
|11:30 am. – 2:00 pm.||Lunch on your own (at Marina Station Restaurant or outside the resort)|
|Noon to 3:00 pm.||Gimmick Rally begins (your choice for the time) - See Larry Koupal at the Porsche Parking area for the directions. We estimate you will need two hours to complete the event.|
|4:30 pm. - 5:30 pm.||Event Check-In (Resort Lodge, Lower Lobby)|
|6:00 pm.||Gimmick Rally Concludes - Your forms must be in the box at the registration desk in the Lower Lobby by this time.|
|5:30 pm – 9:30 pm||Cash Bar Social - near the Lakeside Pavilion|
|6:30 pm. - 8:30 pm.||Optional Fajita Dinner in the Lakeside Pavilion (for those who registered for it). EVENT NAME TAGS REQUIRED|
|9:00 pm. -??||Social and S’mores by the Fire Pit behind the Lodge|
|Saturday, August 17th|
|6:00 am – 6:00 pm||Car Wash hoses available – back of pool house|
|7:30 am. – 9:00 am.||Breakfast on your own|
|9:00 am. –10:00 am.||Event Late Registration at the Resort Lodge Rear Lower Lobby|
|10:15 - 10:30 am.||Concours Staging - Please be with your car before 10:30 in the Porsche Parking area in front of the Lodge. Be sure to bring the Dashboard Placard from your Welcome Package. You will be directed to the field for car placement. The cars won’t be called in the same order as their categories; that is, POR-1 may not be the first group staged.|
|11:30 am. – 2:00 pm.||Peoples Choice Concourse on grass between the Lodge & Lake. Please deposit your ballots in the box at the concours field water station by 2:30 pm.|
|Noon – 2:00 pm.||Lunch served in the Lakeside Pavilion to all who are registered EVENT NAME TAGS REQUIRED|
|2:00 pm. - 2:30 pm.||Cars Off Concours Field - However, if you are participating in the Lake Cruise, you may leave your car on the field and move it when you return to the Resort.|
|1:45 pm. & 2:45 pm.||Optional Lake cruises depart from the Marina EVENT NAME TAGS REQUIRED, which show the time of your cruise.|
|2:00 pm. – 5:00 pm.||Self-guided Tours - See the maps and directions in your welcome packet.|
|5:30 pm. – 6:30 pm.||Cash bar with hors d’oeuvres near Red Banks Room EVENT NAME TAGS REQUIRED - Cash bar is open until 9:00 pm.|
|6:30 pm. – 8:30 pm.||Appalachian Adventure Banquet and Awards Presentation in the Red Banks Room for all who are registered EVENT NAME TAGS REQUIRED|
|9:00 pm -??||Social and S’mores by the Fire Pit behind the Lodge|
|Sunday, August 18th|
|7:00 am – 9:00 am||Breakfast on your own|
|8:00 am||Self-guided tours and Planned Stops Heading Home|
Friday Evening – Optional Fajita Dinner in the Lakeside Pavilion
- Tex-Mex Style salad – Romaine Lettuce, Cherry Tomatoes, Corn Kernels, Black Beans and tortilla strips with Creamy Greek Yogurt Cilantro Dressing
- Stone ground Corn Tortilla Chips and Chunky Salsa
- Sizzling Fajita Platter with Marinated Grilled Beef Skirt Steak, Chicken Breasts, Blistered Mexican Peppers and Onions
- Flour Tortillas, Classic Guacamole, Grated Cheese, Lettuce and Tomatoes
- Spanish Rice
- Refried Beans
- Stewed Summer Vegetables with Coriander
- Tres Leches Cake with Berries and Cream
- Ridges Blend Coffee and Southern Ice Tea
Saturday Lunch – Lakeside Cookout in the Pavilion
- Mixed Green Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Ranch & Balsamic Dressing
- Grilled All Beef Hamburgers and Bratwurst
- Vegiburgers by Pre-order*
- Hoagie and Kaiser Rolls
- Cheddar, Swiss and Provolone Cheeses
- Lettuce, Shaved Onions Sliced Tomatoes, Jalapenos, Mayo, Mustard and Ketchup
- Potato Salad
- Assorted Potato Chips
- Assorted Cookies
- Ridges Blend Coffee, Southern Ice Tea and Assorted Sodas
Saturday Dinner – North Georgia Experience - Red Banks Ridge
- Seasonal Field Greens, Plum Tomatoes, Shaved Carrots, Cucumbers, Sunflower Seeds and Red Onions with Ranch and Fresh Herb Vinaigrette
- Southern Style Tri Color Coleslaw with a Sweet Tangy Dressing
- Sliced Seasonal Fruit
- Blackened Mountain Trout with Roasted Corn and Pepper Salsa
- Zesty Caper Tarter Sauce
- Barbeque pulled pork with Sweet Hickory BBQ Sauce
- Garlic and Herb Chicken with Roasted Tomato Relish
- Vegetarian Entree (by Pre-order)
- Green Beans and Bacon
- Carolina Rice with Country Ham, Bell Peppers, Sweet Onion- Bloody Mary Seasoned
- Fresh Baked Corn Bread with Whipped Butter
- Peach Cobbler, Pecan Pie, Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Drizzle
- Ridges Blend Coffee and Southern Ice Tea
Additional information & Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where is Lake Chatuge? Nestled in the mountains of Western North Carolina and Northwestern Georgia is beautiful Lake Chatuge. In 1942, the TVA constructed a 2,950-foot earth-and-rock dam across the Hiawassee River, forming Lake Chatuge. Visitors can enjoy leisurely strolls along the dam with its spectacular view of the lake and surrounding mountains. With more than 130 miles of shoreline, the lake has numerous finger-like projections of land forming interesting coves for great fishing, swimming, boating and water sports. There will be an optional lake cruise leaving from the Ridges on Saturday afternoon for $15 per person, prepaid at Event Registration.
2. Why did we choose The Ridges Resort? The Ridges at Lake Chatuge has established a very positive reputation in hosting a variety of car club events and provides services and amenities that cater to their needs. All guest rooms as well as the common use areas of the Resort have been renovated in 2018.
The mountain elevation and cool lake breezes should provide a comfortable climate for this year’s Appalachian Adventure. Although just south of the famously great winding roads of WNC, NW Georgia has bragging rights of its own when it comes to twisty roads. For reference, Google Maps distance in miles and hours to the Ridges at Lake Chatuge Resort::
111 miles / 1:58
103 miles / 2:05
226 miles / 3:46
109 miles / 2:03
117 miles / 2:20
186 miles / 3:02
131 miles / 2:32
Tail of the Dragon
54 miles / 1:08
3. Do I need to make separate reservations for the event and for accommodations at the resort? Yes, Event registration is done via the web at ClubRegistration.net and opens 4/15/19 with a 7/15/19 closing date. Fees are $95/single and $175/double.
To make room reservations at The Ridges Resort call the resort directly at 706-896-2262. Mention that you are with the Appalachian Region-PCA to get the group rate until 5/17/19. There is a two-night minimum to get the reduced rates. Extra nights may also be added before or after the Event at the reduced rates. Lodge rooms are $148.28 Resort View and $170.68 Lake View per night including fees and taxes. There are 2 to 4 bedroom Villas available at higher rates. Please have a valid Credit Card available when calling for reservations. Check-in time is 4:00 p.m. Checkout time is 11:00 a.m. Rooms reserved after 5/17/19 are subject to availability and standard room rates.
4. What is the event cancellation policy? Event registration cancellations made prior to June 3, 2019 will receive a refund from Clubregistration.net less 5%. Cancellations from June 3-30, less 25%. No cancellation refunds after June 30, 2019. Sorry, but these penalties are necessary to cover commitments made by the Appalachian Region–PCA.
Room reservations may be cancelled on 72 hours notice. The cancellation penalty is the Resort policy.
5. Will there be special parking designated for my Porsche? We will have designated Porsche parking on the left side of the lot facing the Lobby entrance on Friday and Saturday nights. The Friday morning Guided Tour will leave from this lot.
6. What about trailer parking? The resort has extensive grounds so trailer parking should not be a problem for our group.
7. Where are the car wash stations? Car wash stations with hoses (please remember to bring your own bucket, soap and towels) are located in the parking lot between the pool building and the Oaks Restaurant. The car wash will be open Friday and Saturday from 6am to 6pm.
8. What about the tours and driving? Friday’s Guided Tour will take us to the top of Bell Mountain (Police Escorted) and Brasstown Bald. The 2 to 3.5 hour Gimmick Rally on Friday afternoon will reflect a leisurely pace with emphasis on your powers of perception, the scenery and having fun. Several restaurants along your route will allow an early start. All registrants will be provided with a high-quality touring map of the area. We have arranged self-guided tours on some of the most scenic and challenging roads in the area. Additional tour directions with mileage and estimated travel times will be provided for each of the self-guided tours. These tours offer a number of interesting and scenic options for your use on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
9. What about the optional lake cruise? We have arranged an optional 1-hour tour of the 7,500-acre lake at a cost of $15/person, payable at the time of Registration. The lake tour promises to be relaxing, scenic, informative and enjoyable.
10. What are the rules and classes for the Concours? We anticipate 7 or more classes depending on the Porsche vehicles registered for the event. A listing of Peoples Choice Concours rules and projected classes (subject to change) is available on the Appalachian Region website at apr.pca.org. We will present 1-3 awards per class depending on class size. There will also be a Best In Show award.
11. How about the Historical and Technical Porsche Quiz? This year’s Quiz will be included with your welcome Package. Quizzes must be completed and placed into the Quiz Box found at the Event Registration Table or the Dining Pavilion by 2 pm. on Saturday. An award will be presented to the Quiz winner at the Awards Dinner.
12. What about cell phone use and Wi-Fi coverage at the resort? With Verizon and AT&T Towers nearby, cell phone coverage has not been an issue for guests. All Lodge rooms and Villas have Wi-Fi service available included in the quoted rates.
13. When is breakfast available? The Oaks Restaurant (706-896-4141) is located between the Resort entrance and the Main Lodge. The Oaks opens at 7:00 a.m. for breakfast. Breakfast is on your own.
14. Who can I contact if I have further questions? For questions regarding the resort and accommodations, please contact The Ridges at Lake Chatuge Resort at 706-896-2262. Other/general questions can be directed to Don Therien, the event coordinator, at email@example.com.