July 8th through 14th, 2018 marked the 63rd Annual Porsche Parade at The Lake of the Ozarks, Tan-Tar-A resort located in Osage Beach, Missouri.
This year the Appalachian Region had four of its members attend: Don and Lee Therien of Arden, N.C. and Don and Robin Grainger of Hendersonville, N.C. The two couples opted to drive the 750 miles in two days. This was the first Parade for Don and Lee and the 4th Parade for Don and Robin.
Reservations and Registration for Parade usually takes place approximately 4 to 5 months prior to the event, but warly registration is highly recommended.
This year’s Parade offered a very full schedule. As with all Parades, there are Porsche (Auto) Events/Competitions, Award Banquets and Tours. When you register you can sign up for as many or as few events, tours, and banquets as you care to.
Porsche Events included:
- Concours d’Elegance presented by Porsche
- Autocross sponsored by Michelin
- Gimmick Rally
- Time, Speed, Distance Rally (TSD)
- Parade of Porsche’s
- Tech Quiz
- Art Show (PCA Members artwork)
- 5k Run
- Missouri State Penitentiary,
- Warm Springs Ranch (Budweiser Clydesdale Breeding and Birthing Ranch),
- Branson, Mo., lake boat lunch and dinner cruises,
- Bass Pro Shop shopping experience,
- Local caves and caverns,
- wineries, distilleries and additional self-guided tours.
- Some of the tours followed portions of Route 66, including the Gimmick Rally.
- Welcome Party Banquet
- Concours Awards Banquet - Don Therien took home a 2nd place trophy for his class
- Victory Awards Banquet - Appalachian Region took a 1st Runner Up trophy for Region of the Year. The Mid-Ohio Region took home First.
- TSD Rally Awards Banquet
- Autocross Awards Banquet - Don Therien brought home gold in his class in Autocross
- Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon Banquet - Robin and Don Grainger attended as 2018 Volunteers.
- Victory Banquet
- There is always a Hospitality Room in the Hosting Hotel. Continental Breakfast was available and sodas, water and light snacks throughout the day.
There is a Parade Store that sells Parade and PCA t-shirts, sweat shirts, water bottles and various other souvenirs.
There is a strong Porsche presence also selling their goods. These range from Porsche clothing, luggage, watches and sunglasses in addition to Porsche vehicle goodys!
There are numerous vendors that open the 1st full day of the Parade and remain open for the duration. Some of this year’s vendors included, Pirelli, Michelin, Hagerty Auto Insurance, various window tinting companies and a Ceramic Coating Company. Lots and lots of freebies from the vendors.
Unofficially there were over 1000 Porsches registered. Parade participants came from all over the US including Hawaii. The farthest participants to drive to this year’s Parade came from Alaska. They actually had more participants than our Region.
I hope those reading this will give serious thought to attending the 2019 Porsche Parade which is going to take place in Boca Raton, Florida at the Boca Raton Resort and Club (A Waldorf Astoria Resort). Next year’s Parade will be held July 21 - July 28, 2019.
– Robin Grainger, July 23, 2018