All the preparation for Treffen Asheville is not slowing the Appalachian Region! There is a lot of information contained in this note; I beg your indulgence...
We have exciting news of upcoming events:
- Mountain Air Cars and Coffee in partnership with Porsche Asheville and Mountain Air is tentatively scheduled for August 26th 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on the air strip (timed runs with signed waiver). The Appalachian Region has been invited to participate. (Mountain Air is an exclusive, gated residential community near Burnsville, boasting the air park and golf course among its amenities. Thank you, Jim Peterson.
- Roebling Road Track Day is scheduled for November 10th in partnership with Porsche Asheville. This event is intended for AR members who have no track experience (never participated in a DE/similar or a Porsche Asheville-sponsored track day); it will be run like PCA DE events (tech inspection required, DE instructor aboard). Registration will be limited to the first 22 qualifying AR members. Registration will open on August 7th; more information to follow. (Thank you, Jim Peterson and Don Oakes for planning/organizing this event)
…along with on-going planning of annual Region activities:
- Christmas/Holiday party
- Annual Membership meeting
- Appalachian Adventure 2018
…and a few words about continued operations:
- The AR Officers/Board of Directors will be concluding two years in office at the end of this year; our bylaws require selection of a 3-member Nominating Committee to produce a slate of officers. The committee is composed of one Board member and 2 members at-large: Jim Peterson has volunteered as the Board member and Charlie Hickey has volunteered for an at-large slot. We need one more volunteer to fill the other at-large slot: if you are interested in serving, please let me know (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- And then of course, we need candidates: if you are interested in serving in a two-year Officer/Board position, please let either Jim Peterson (email@example.com), Charlie Hickey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or me (email@example.com) know.
- In planning AA 2018, we are requesting suggestions for hosting hotels/locations. If you know a hotel or location that you would like considered, please send recommendations to Don Therien (firstname.lastname@example.org). While we would like to stay in the AR geography (WNC), other locations will be considered.
- The Treffen Asheville Committee is still keen for volunteers: if you haven’t already volunteered and you would like to be involved, let me know at email@example.com. We are still enlisting for Goodie Bag assembly, hospitality and Drive volunteers.
Up-coming Appalachian Region events:
- AR Social: Wednesday, July 12th, 5 to 7 pm – We’re back at Sierra Nevada Taproom, 100 Sierra Nevada Way, Mills River, NC 28732 (map). As usual, just look for the white AR name badges: we’ll be on the terrace unless it's raining.
- Asheville Treffen Committee Meeting: Saturday, July 15th, 9:30 in the conference room at Porsche Asheville. All AR members are invited but may be limited to SRO.
- Wheels Through Time Treffen pre-Drive is scheduled for Saturday July 22nd: the starting point is New Bridge Baptist Church, 199 Elkwood Ave, Asheville, NC 28804. Please arrive by 8:30 a.m. The cost for lunch is $20 per person paid in advance to ‘Appalachian Region – PCA‘: mail to: Appalachian Region - PCA, c/o Matt Pohsweg, 296 Mountain View Drive, Columbus, NC 28722. Entrance to the WTT Museum is $10 per person (paid at museum entrance – no prepay; participants in drive.lunch are not required to enter the museum). Since we need a number for lunch at the Laurel Ridge Country Club, please RSVP the number of people to firstname.lastname@example.org before July 17th.
For those who wish to join WTT Treffen pre-Drive in route, the planned schedule is rest stop in Hot Springs from 10:00 to 10:20am, lunch at Laurel Springs Country Club from 11:45am to 12:45pm, arrive at WTT around 1:00pm. Please remember to sign the waiver when you join the tour. You may stay at WTT museum as long as you wish as the return is 'on your own'.
Finally, in preparation for Treffen Asheville and for the general benefit of Appalachian Region members, the Goodie Store is offering 10% off the cost of all AR merchandise during the month of August (fees – if applicable, shipping cannot be discounted). If you have been waiting to purchase AR goods, August is for you! Full price will still be listed on the website: discounts will be applied at checkout. You may review available merchandise/start filling your cart today at the Goodie Store but the discount is only good during the month of August.
With the realization of Nominating Committee formation, I have a hard time believing that my term as your President is nearing an end: I cannot fathom where the year and half has gone. It has been my distinct honor to serve you and to continue in service for the remainder of this year. I duly recognize those who have served tirelessly as officers, chairs and volunteers: your efforts are truly appreciated. It is however time for ‘new blood’ with new ideas: please consider serving your Region in whatever capacity you are able, availing yourself to the Nominating Committee and/or chair positions.
It is the marque that has brought us together, but it is our friendship and comradery that makes us a great Porsche family!